Crawfish King Cake Recipe
Holly Clegg - Monday, January 23, 2017
My easy Louisiana Crawfish King Cake is like a stuffed crawfish bread. This simple savory Mardi Gras king cake starts with crescent rolls and filled with a scrumptious creamy Louisiana crawfish filling topped with Mardi Gras colored cheese representing the traditional king cake colors. Read more about my Crawfish King Cake on my blog, Wait Until You Taste My Crawfish King Cake.
Makes 14 servings
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup Louisiana crawfish tails, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup chopped green onion
3 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
2 (8-ounce) cans reduced-fat crescent rolls
Mardi Gras Topping (see recipe)
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 10-inch round pizza pan lined with foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion, red pepper and garlic until tender. Add crawfish, green onion and cream cheese, stirring until creamy. Remove from heat.
3. Separate crescent rolls at perforations, into 16 slices. Place slices around prepared pan with points in the center. About halfway down from points, press seams together.
4. Spread crawfish mixture on dough in the center where seams have been pressed together. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold dough points over filling, then fold bottom of triangle over points forming circular roll like king cake.
5. Bake about 20–25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with Mardi Gras Topping (see recipe).
Mardi Gras Topping
6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Yellow, green, red, and blue food coloring
1. In three small bowls, divide cheese. In one bowl, add few drops yellow food coloring. In second bowl, add few drops green food coloring. In third bowl, add equal amounts drops of red and blue food coloring (to create purple).
2. Sprinkle cheese over baked king cake. Return to oven 1-2 minutes or until cheese melted.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 136, Calories from fat 46%, Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 26mg, Sodium 317mg, Carbohydrate 15g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 3g, Protein 6g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat